The Nation Expanding
1. An Ode to the New City, 1810
2. Observations of Pittsburgh, 1833
3. The City in 1856
4. Charles Dickens on a Steamboat Between Pittsburgh and Cincinnati
1. Excerpt from a Short Story by a Young Worker
2. Description of Factory Life
3. Newspaper Account of a Strike
4. A Worker's Memory of the Strike
1. Protocol for Presentation of Peace Medals
2. Importance of the Medals
3. Presentation of a Medal
4. Depreciation of the Medals
5. Address to Condemned Dakota Warriors
1. A Comparison of Mexico and the U.S.
2. Walt Whitman on Manifest Destiny
3. Mexican Broadside
4. Henry David Thoreau's Protest
5. Ulysses S. Grant's Reflections on the War
1. First Official Report of the Discovery of Gold
2. Lines from "Sweet Betsy from Pike"
3. "California Gold Grease"
4. Miner's Diary Entry
5. Lines from "Lousy Miner"
1. Lines from a Pro-Slavery Poem
2. Lines from "Go Down, Moses"
3. A Virginian's Defense of Slavery
4. Frederick Douglass in My Bondage and My Freedom
5. John C. Calhoun in his Last Senate Speech
This section focuses on objects from the period 1810–1860. All of the objects are from Smithsonian or Smithsonian affiliate museums.